Each month, Alternatives For Girls’ Volunteer Department, highlights one volunteer who AFG staff recognize as being a dedicated and passionate volunteer. This month, Jamika Jett, a volunteer in AFG’s Shelter Department is being spotlighted for her role as a childcare volunteer! Learn more about Jamika and how to become an AFG Volunteer below.
Jamika became a volunteer in February of 2016 when she decided she wanted to find a useful way to spend her spare time. After learning about Alternatives For Girls through an online volunteer posting, Jamika researched the organization and knew she wanted to be part of it. Jamika quickly decided to sign up to be a childcare volunteer since she had past experiences working with children and knew she could apply her background and skills to the role.
Jamika’s greatest strength is her resourcefulness, a skill that she uses frequently as a volunteer. Jamika has found that she is flexible and can quickly overcome any challenge. Jamika is a role model for participants because she is an advocate for education. She was taught the importance of education as a child and hopes to share its importance with others.
When asked about her proudest moment, Jamika described a day that one of the children gave her a big hug when she arrived to volunteer. The excitement of the child was a memorable moment for Jamika since the children she works with can sometimes be shy. Jamika enjoys volunteering at Alternatives For Girls each week, knowing that she has a purpose and that she is helping someone else.
Thank you, Jamika, for your on-going commitment to being a positive role model at Alternatives For Girls!
Are you interested in becoming an AFG Volunteer? Here’s how you can start:
- Visit our Volunteer page.
- Join us during one of our monthly Open Houses to tour our building, learn more about what we do, and our current volunteer opportunities. To attend, contact Jenny Clement, at 313-361-4000 x248. Our upcoming Open House dates are:
- Wednesday, August 10th at 10:00am
- Monday, August 29th at 5:30pm
- Ready to apply? Fill out an application and contact Jenny Clement, Volunteer Services Manager, at 313-361-4000 x248 or email@example.com.