Recognizing the continued need for inspired leadership and positive role models for girls and young women, Alternatives For Girls’ Role Model Award identifies and honors exceptional women for their professional accomplishments, personal attributes, and community commitment. These women, by example, affirm the principles embodied in the AFG mission and provide inspiration and concrete evidence of what women can achieve when afforded the opportunity and guidance to make positive life choices. We invite you to nominate a worthy woman you know.
Two or more women are honored each year with awards at AFG’s Role Model Dinner for their accomplishments and demonstrated commitment to the metropolitan Detroit community. The 2019 Role Model Dinner will be held in Detroit in March 2019.
Nominee applications will be reviewed by a panel of community representatives, including previous AFG Role Model Award recipients and AFG board members. Their recommendations will be reviewed by the AFG Board of Directors who will make the final selections. Persons nominating candidates will receive an acknowledgment when their nomination is received as well as an announcement of the role models selected. Nominators may call AFG at (313)361-4000, ext. 273, with questions.
AFG is committed to selecting award recipients who, over time, represent the diversity (e.g., racial, cultural, professional, economic, age, etc.) of the metropolitan Detroit community.
You may submit as many separate and distinct nominations as you wish. The Role Model Award Selection Committee will determine the category of award for which your nominee is best suited. In general, AFG honors two or more Role Models each year.
Nominations may be submitted by an individual or by an organization. You will be contacted at a later date if more information about your nominee is desired.
Nominations are welcome until 5pm Friday, September 7, 2018. You may submit nominations by mail, fax, e-mail, or via the AFG website to:
Role Model Award Selection Committee
Alternatives For Girls
903 West Grand Boulevard
Detroit, MI 48208-2365
Fax: (313) 361-8938
Questions may be directed to Taylor Gawlik at (313) 361-4000, ext. 273.
In the past, AFG has recognized Role Models awardees in the following categories:
- Community Role Model Award
- Professional Role Model Award
- Emerging Leader Award
- Champion Role Model Award
AFG may use these categories or create a new one to fit a nominee that best meets the criteria below.
A qualified candidate for a 2019 Role Model Award will:
- Be female.
- Be a positive role model for girls and young women in the metropolitan Detroit area.
- Have demonstrated leadership in her neighborhood, organization, civic group or faith community that has had a tangible impact as a result of her efforts.
- Possess personal attributes that inspire others and that are consistent with the AFG mission.
- Possess the kind of stature that will draw an audience to the event and attention to the issues facing homeless and high-risk girls and young women.
- Be a strong public speaker.
- Be willing to make a commitment to participate in AFG’s work during at least her first year as a role model.
- Be able to attend the Role Model Dinner in March 2019.
In addition, the nominees in each of the above award categories will:
- Community Role Model Award: Have a strong history of community service beyond the scope of her career.
- Professional Role Model Award: Have stellar professional accomplishments to her credit.
- Emerging Leader Award: Be under age 40.
- Champion Role Model Award: Have a strong history of being a true champion of Alternatives For Girls’ mission.
2019 ROLE MODEL NOMINATION FORM